5 Days Bwindi Gorilla trekking and Lake Mburo Wildlife Safari from Kigali
This 5 Days Bwindi Gorilla trekking and Lake Mburo national park safari from Kigali covers visits to Uganda’s most popular primates and wildlife destinations including, Bwindi Impenetrable national park which is the world’s home of the mountain gorillas and its recorded that Bwindi Forest has half of these endangered mountain gorillas while the rest are shared by Rwanda and Congo. Lake Mburo national park which smallest savannah national park with most of the antelope species. This trip will start in Kigali Rwanda for visitors with arrival flights in Kigali airport given that Kigali airport is the nearest as compared to Entebbe airport. This is cuts the long distances drives that may occur if one started in Entebbe.
Safari highlights of the
- Day 1: Pick-up Kigali and transfer to Bwindi Impenetrable national park
- Day 2: Gorilla trekking and Batwa Community tour and transfer to Lake Bunyonyi
- Day 3: Explore Lake Bunyonyi and transfer to Lake Mburo national park
- Day 4: Game drive and boat cruise
- Day 5: Transfer to Kampala
Day 1: Pick-up in Kigali and transfer to Bwindi Impenetrable national park
- Pick-up in Kigali and transfer to Bwindi: Upon arrival in Kigali in the morning hours/depending on your location in Kigali, you will meet our company representative/your safari guide and transfer to Bwindi Impenetrable national park. It’s usually about 4-5 hours’ drive from Kigali city with the great views of the rolling Rwanda hills. This is exciting and magical! Cross to Uganda via Katuna border. Have en-route lunch in Kabale town before you proceed to Bwindi forest where your accommodation is located. Upon arrival, you will be welcomed by the staff, check-in and rest for the day as you prepare for the next day activity. Dinner will be served at your convenience and overnight stay in your room.
Accommodation and meals (En-route lunch and half board)
- Luxury options: Buhoma Lodge/Mahogany Springs lodge/Ruhija Safari lodge
- Mid-range option: Buhoma Haven Lodge/Gorilla Mist Lodge
- Budget option: Bakiga lodge/Buhoma Community Rest Camp
Day 2: Gorilla trekking, Batwa Community tour and transfer to Lake Bunyonyi
- Gorilla trekking: After breakfast, drive to the park headquarters for your gorilla trekking experience with your trekking gears and packed lunch; meet with other trekkers for briefing about gorilla trekking. After you are allocated a group in groups of 8 people, head into the forest for your trek. Gorilla trekking takes 2 to 8 hours depending on the movement of the gorilla family being visited. These primates roam the park freely and there is no way of telling where they will be for a particular. On finding them, you will be allowed 1 hour to view and take photos of these gentle primates before you descend back to meet your driver/guide and transfer back to your lodge.
- Batwa Community tour and transfer to Lake Bunyonyi: The time after trekking can be spent on a village/community Batwa tour or check-out of the lodge and transfer to Lake Bunyonyi the deepest lake in East Africa and Bilharzia free lake for human consumption in different activities like swimming. Upon reaching the lake with great views of rolling hills, connect to your accommodation, check-in for relaxation, dinner and overnight stay
Accommodation and meals (Full board)
- Luxury option – Lake Bunyonyi BirdNest lodge
- Mid-range option – Lake Bunyonyi Eco lodge/Arcadia Cottages Bunyonyi
- Budget option – Bunyonyi Overland Resort
Day 3: Explore Lake Bunyonyi and transfer to Lake Mburo national park
- Explore Lake Bunyonyi and transfer to Lake Mburo: After having breakfast, connect to explore the lake on a boat trip and visit some of the interesting islands on the lake. Return for lunch before you embark on your journey to Lake Mburo national park, which is the smallest national park in Uganda with interesting animals to view. Arrive in Lake Mburo national park in the evening, check-in your lodge for dinner and overnight stay
Accommodation and meals (Full board)
- Luxury option – Mihingo Lodge
- Mid-range option – Mpogo Lodge/Rwakobo Rock lodge
- Budget option – Eagles Nest Lodge
Day 4: Game drive and Boat cruise
- Game drive: Early morning after breakfast, head out for in search for the early risers on a good day you may spot the lions and the leopards are actually rarely seen and it will be by luck to find them. Do not forget to carry your camera in order to keep all your memories forever intact and also to ensure not to miss out a detail on your amazing game drive and find animals such as the Impalas, Zebras, Waterbucks, Oribi, buffaloes, Giraffes to mention a few.
- Boat cruise: Return to the lodge for lunch and later go for a relaxing and experiential boat cruise on the lake Mburo. The lake is also good for sports fishing and bird watching. Return in the evening to prepare for dinner at lodge as above
Day 5: Transfer to Kampala
- Transfer to Kampala: After breakfast, check-out and transfer to Kampala as your last destination for this safari. It’s a 4-5 hours’ drive from Lake Mburo national park to Kampala. Your safari guide will drop you at allocation you advise or better still be dropped at Entebbe international airport of you have a flight.