4 Days Uganda Gorilla and Golden Monkey Safari
4 Days Uganda Gorilla and Golden Monkey Safari gives you a chance to encounter in both gorillas and golden monkeys in Mgahinga national park. The park which borders with Rwanda and DR Congo and is home to the Virunga volcanoes. However, is the smallest among the 10 Uganda national parks positioned in the south western region of Uganda in Kisoro district. Among these 4 days, you will get amazed at trekking mountain gorillas in the montane rain forest and golden monkey trekking to be encountered in Virunga volcanoes. And to those are good in hiking you can extend your stay to Mgahinga national park and get interested in hiking in any of the Volcanoes that is Sabyinyo, Gahinga, and Muhavura and this is a day hiking activity to hike till the top of each of these volcanoes. You can still decide to extend your stay to Batwa people who were the first people to inhabits the area and used to live together with mountain gorillas in the forest, the Batwa trails are quite interesting giving a magical experience to the pearl of Africa.
Highlights of 4 Days Uganda Gorilla and Golden Monkey Safari
- Day 1: Transfer to Mgahinga Gorilla National park
- Day 2: Gorilla Trekking in Mgahinga Gorilla National park
- Day 3: Golden Monkey trekking in Mgahinga
- Day 4: Back to Kampala
Day 1: Transfer to Mgahinga Gorilla national park
- Transfer to Mgahinga: On travelers day 1,you will be picked up by our driver or guide depending on your location but the driver will first brief you about the 4 Days Uganda Gorilla and Golden Monkey Safari. After the briefing, you will set off to south western part of Uganda and on your way, you may have a chance to stop to Uganda equator to have fun time day through taking pictures, visit the craft shop around, then proceed with the journey which takes 8 to 9 hours by road and by air transport from Entebbe Airport to Kisoro Airstrip lasts 2 hours only. By road transport, you will continue to drive to Mbarara town where you will have your lunch en route. After en route Lunch you will drive directly to Mgahinga gorilla national park passing through magnificent views of the tea plantations, volcanoes while enjoying the winding roads. Arrive at the park in the later evening for dinner and overnight stay.
- Accommodation Option: Mt. Gahinga Lodge –Upmarket, Lake Mulehe Safari Lodge-Mid -range, and Lake Chahafi Lodge-Budget
Day 2: Gorilla Trekking
- Gorilla Trekking: You wake up early in the morning have breakfast and snacks with a packed lunch box, your driver/guide will pick you up at your lodge to transfer you to the briefing point inside the park to learn the rules concerning about gorillas in the while in the wild. You will meet the ranger guide who leads you to start your gorilla trek in the park, the trek which depends on the location of the gorillas. Note, gorilla trekking can take 30 to 8 hours’ trek and once gorillas are found you’re given one hour to observe them while interacting with each other and have their feeding, playing round, see them as they display their next high on the tree, but remember Mgahinga national park sits in the volcanoes which require travelers to be relatively fit to enjoy the experience. After trekking driving to the lodge for refreshment, dinner and overnight stay to the same lodge you spend in your night the previous night.
Day 3: Golden Monkey trekking in Mgahinga gorilla national park
- Golden Monkey trekking: You will wake early in the morning have aroma coffee tea served with delicious snacks with packed lunch. After morning breakfast, your driver or guide will drive you to the briefing point where the golden monkey trekking experience start same as the previous day. To your briefing, a ranger guide will share information on what to expect while in the Virunga volcanoes trekking for the golden monkeys. After your briefing will then start hiking up in volcanoes searching for golden monkeys since there is much hiking needed you will be joined by porters to help those are interested and in any case, you meet the wild buffaloes and Elephants which can be dangerous to you. These golden monkeys are swift in their movement unlike the mountain gorillas and you will have to follow them as they move to feed. Once you see them, you’re given 1 hour to spend with the golden monkeys see them feeding, playing before you begin your descent back to the lodge.
Day 4: Return to Kampala/Entebbe Airport
- Return to Kampala/Entebbe Airport: You wake in the morning have to breakfast and check out of the lodge after being filled with great stay adventure at Mgahinga gorilla national park, your driver will transfer you back to Kampala to your place of residents or to be dropped from Entebbe Airport to catch up your flight.
End of 4 Days Gorilla and Golden Monkey Uganda safari
- Knowledgeable English speaking driver or guide.
- Picks and drops
- 4x4WD safari vehicle
- Full board accommodation for three nights
- Bottled water in the safari vehicle
- Golden monkey trekking permits
- Gorilla tracking permits.
- Tour excludes
- Air ticket
- Personnel extras like drinks, telephone, laundry, tips to porters or driver/guide, tour insurance.
Gorilla trekking Tips
- Carry long trousers and long sleeved sweaters while in the forest to avoid insect stings.
- Eats, drink, and smoking near the gorillas is not allowed.
- Hand gardening gloves for protection against sting plants.
- Photography is allowed but flash discs are not permitted to use them in the park.
- Carry your rain poncho.
- You should carry enough mineral water since Mgahinga national park comprises of volcanoes which requires one to hike quite a long distance.